[Check_mk (english)] Multiple sites per server
Gerardo Ferreyra
2018-03-10 18:55:52 UTC
Hi guys.
Suppose a physical server with enough power (32 cores, 64 gb ram).
Do you recommend to create multiple sites on it?
It's better in terms of optimization?

Or nowadays, one instance/site of CMK EE, can handle the monitoring of 4000
servers without any issue?

Thanks!
Andreas Döhler
2018-03-10 19:31:43 UTC
Hi Gerardo,

yes i would setup more then one site on such a big system. The size of the
single sites depends on the usage of this sites.
One point would be, how often there are changes made on the configuration
of the monitoring objects.
If your setup is more static then you can leave all 4k hosts on one site no
problem.

br
Andreas

Gerardo Ferreyra <***@gmail.com> schrieb am Sa., 10. MÀrz 2018 um
19:56 Uhr:

Marcel Schulte
2018-03-11 08:47:09 UTC
Hi Gerardo,

in terms of performance /never/ split up a big site to multiple sites
on the same system: every site has its own core, apache, rrdcached
and other processes running, consuming performance.

BR,
Marcel

Andreas Döhler
2018-03-11 12:36:27 UTC
Hi Marcel,

that is not right the biggest problems on big sites are generation of
configuration and core restarts.
If you split one very big installation in 3 or 4 smaller sites on the same
machine the overall systems will run better.
One other point for very big sites is the amount of log information
generated, this is better handled with smaller sites.

br
Andreas

Marcel Schulte <***@gmail.com> schrieb am So., 11. MÀrz 2018 um
09:47 Uhr:

Groshert, Kai (FII6)
2018-03-13 08:25:12 UTC
Hi everyone,

right now I have 2 local sites with about 4500 hosts evenly distributed
and running on 2 physical machines.

I was planning clustering the sites with pacemaker and make them
switchable between the 2 physical machines.

Now this thread got me thinking - maybe it's better to split the 2 sites
into multiple smaller ones and make all of them clustered.

I was thinking maybe

1 master site (no services, just frontend)
1 slave site with linux systems
1 slave site with network systems
1 slave site with windows systems
1 slave site with vmware systems
1 slave site as SNMP trap-receiver
Maybe split it up even more as windows/linux systems are quite big chunks

Right now the system load is minimal, just updating the config and restarting
the core is a pain in the neck as it takes ages. Several small sites would probably
fix that.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Kai

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Aktiengesellschaft
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Stuttgart
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB-Nr. 730623
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Wolfgang Porsche
Vorstand: Oliver Blume, Vorsitzender
Lutz Meschke, stv. Vorsitzender
Andreas Haffner, Detlev von Platen, Albrecht Reimold, Uwe-Karsten Städter, Michael Steiner

Die vorgenannten Angaben werden jeder E-Mail automatisch hinzugefügt. Dies ist kein Anerkenntnis,
dass es sich beim Inhalt dieser E-Mail um eine rechtsverbindliche Erklärung der Porsche AG handelt.
Erklärungen, die die Porsche AG verpflichten, bedürfen jeweils der Unterschrift durch zwei zeichnungs-
berechtigte Personen der AG.

Gerardo Ferreyra
2018-03-13 12:12:44 UTC
Exactly kai. I have exactly that. Per operating system and other flavours.

Works extremely better.

Cheers

El 13 mar. 2018 05:26, "Groshert, Kai (FII6)" <***@porsche.de>
escribió:

[...]

Andreas Haffner, Detlev von Platen, Albrecht Reimold, Uwe-Karsten StÀdter,
Michael Steiner

Die vorgenannten Angaben werden jeder E-Mail automatisch hinzugefÃŒgt. Dies
ist kein Anerkenntnis,
dass es sich beim Inhalt dieser E-Mail um eine rechtsverbindliche ErklÀrung
der Porsche AG handelt.
ErklÀrungen, die die Porsche AG verpflichten, bedÌrfen jeweils der

Gerardo Ferreyra
2018-03-12 14:41:21 UTC
Marcel, i tried one big site, but it get's slower from time to time,
specially when you commit changes (i add servers every week).
And is not using all the cores / ram.

Splitting in a few sites, i can see more cores being used, and commits are
faster.

Thanks!