[Check_mk (english)] Skipping inventory when host is down
Mäkelä, Antti
2018-11-16 07:05:14 UTC

When a host goes down, and a periodic inventory occurs, we get a warning:

Discovery failed: Cannot fetch system description OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0. This might be OK for some bogus devices. In that case please configure the ruleset "Hosts without system description OID" to tell Check_MK not to fetch the system description and system object OIDs.

Is there some way to configure the system to NOT do inventory whenever host is down? Or checks in general, for that matter (if host is detected to be down via e.g. ping, there is really no reason to run the "Check_MK" check to poll data via SNMP or from the agent).

I thought this was actually already addressed by the CMC, see https://mathias-kettner.com/cms_cmc_differences.html#No%20on-demand%20host%20checks - but doesn't look like it. Why is inventory or check even attempted if host is down?

This is of course different for hosts where we cannot use ping to detect the state of the host - but then that's what "assume host to be always up" is for.

- Antti