[Check_mk (english)] How do I enable the Dell OpenManage and PowerEdge Checks?
Hanby, Mike
2018-11-05 03:17:05 UTC
I’m running the Check_MK 1.5.0p7 Raw Edition. I have a bunch of Dell PowerEdge servers running Dell OpenManage.

How do I get Check_MK to use the dell_om_* and dell_chassis_* checks?

----------------
Mike Hanby
mhanby @ uab.edu
Systems Analyst II - Enterprise
IT Research Computing Services
The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Paul Dott
2018-11-05 03:21:29 UTC

https://mathias-kettner.de/cms_check_dell_om_mem.html

Seems like you have the openmange server running. Do you have the snmp
agent chosen/configured for this host in check mk?
Arno Wijnhoven
2018-11-05 07:48:39 UTC
Set SNMP credentials in regular place (e.g. Windows SNMP service or snmpd.conf) and add the Check_MK host to the list of allowed managers. This should be all configuration needed if you already have OpenManage installed. After that, the checks will be used automatically if you add the host to Check_MK.

mhanby @ uab.edu<http://uab.edu>

Hanby, Mike
2018-11-05 14:19:03 UTC
I do have the OpenManage services running and have configured and started snmpd on a test server. The test server is configured in WATO to use both SNMP and the CMK agent.

When I go to Services for the test server, I see the standard Linux SNMP services (file systems, memory, interfaces, SNMP info, and uptime), but no additional SNMP services.

The SNMP user has access to the full tree:
view AllView included .1

I guess I’m missing something to tell CMK to search for the Dell MIBs that I’m interested in.

----------------

Arno Wijnhoven
2018-11-06 07:58:48 UTC
Hi Mike,

I’m 100% sure you don’t need to tell Check_MK to search for Dell OIDs.
The relevant OIDs are mentioned in the SNMP scripts so Check_MK already knows which ones to get.
Check_MK just gets everything, and then sees which OID are known to Check_MK.
There is no way to ‘tell Check_MK’, it either knows or it doesn’t – based on the scripts it has (/omd/sites/<sitename>/share/check_mk/checks/)

Anyhow, it looks like your SNMP listener works. There should be a lot of OIDs starting with .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892/10893 (=Dell).
Specifically: OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.1.0 should give you the installed version of OpenManage.
Please verify this manually: snmpget -v2c –c<community> <hostname> .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.1.0
(you could also download iReasoning MIB browser or another tool to check this).
If this OID is not present, OpenManage could be installed improperly.

Be advised: if you installed OpenManage, you shouldn’t poll the RAC, poll the host itself instead.
Polling the RAC is an extra, but the host itself gives you most information.

Arno Wijnhoven

Hanby, Mike
2018-11-08 03:18:14 UTC
Thanks for the assistance all, I now have Check_MK collecting the OMSA bits. Marco pointed me to a package that is required, but isn’t included when installing the ‘srvadmin-all’ meta package.

The missing package is the Inventory Collector, ‘srvadmin-cm’. After installing this and restarting the OMSA services `srvadmin-services.sh restart` it works.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/de/de/dedhs1/sln311156/snmp-configuration-for-omsa-on-linux?lang=en
Install Inventory Collector on 64-bit Servers
Inventory Collector is required for systems update on Linux servers. Currently it is available only as a 32-bit version and must be installed separately for 64-bit systems.
For all 64-bit supported Linux operating systems you must complete the following steps:

1. Install the 32-bit version of zlib and compat-libstdc++ libraries.
2. Install the srvadmin-cm package