[Check_mk (english)] Dns cache not updating with system's one?
David Schmidt
2018-11-13 16:24:31 UTC
Hi there,

I am running an Ubuntu 18.04.1 VM with Raw 1.4.0p33.

A host moved to another subnet and it's DNS was updated on the DNS
server on the domain.

After short time, as expected, from the VM's console I could resolve the
host correctly.

Check MK wouldn't update the host though. I managed to "force" it by
renaming the host in WATO and naming it back to the correct name.

Any idea why and how to fix it for the future?

Best

David
Robert Sander
2018-11-13 16:40:58 UTC
Check MK wouldn't update the host though. I managed to "force" it by
renaming the host in WATO and naming it back to the correct name.
Check_MK uses its own DNS cache to not have to resolve a name every time a check runs.

This cache gets updated every 24 hours.

You can manually update the cache with the "Update DNS Cache" button in the host properties in WATO.

Regards
--
Robert Sander
Heinlein Support GmbH

https://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-43
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg - HRB 93818 B
GeschÀftsfÌhrer: Peer Heinlein - Sitz: Berlin
David Schmidt
Andreas Döhler
2018-11-13 18:42:55 UTC
Second Option is that you use the DNS name inside the "IP" field inside
your host definition.
Then Check_MK resolves the name every time it makes contact to this host.
Good for devices with DHCP addresses.

Best regards
Andreas

David Schmidt