[Check_mk (english)] Setting host agent type in v1.5
Cameron Moore
2018-11-05 20:13:41 UTC
I'm a long-time Nagios user who's investigating Check_MK.

I'm testing a newly installed check_mk RAW v1.5.0p7 instance. I add a
SNMP-only host, but Check_MK always attempts to connect to the check_mk
agent. Therefore, the check_mk/discovery service always fails. SNMP is
working properly.

Tags from `cmk -D host`: /wato/, cmk-agent, ip-v4, ip-v4-only, lan, prod,
site:test, snmp, snmp-v2, tcp, wato

I have a vanilla setup from a new omd site. In the WATO Host properties
page, I have "Data Sources > Check_MK Agent" unchecked and "Data Sources >
SNMP" checked. SNMP credentials are set in the Basic Settings section.
The documentation talks
<https://mathias-kettner.com/cms_wato_hosts.html#Host%20tags:%20Check_MK%20agent%20or%20SNMP>
about
changing the agent type Host Tag, but the UI has diverged from the
documentation. Agent type is no longer listed under Host Tags.

How do I set the agent type for a host in v1.5? Thanks
Cameron Moore
Paul Dott
2018-11-05 21:14:14 UTC
When you say unchecked, you mean you left it as default? (Contact either
Check_MK Agent or use datasource program)

Assuming yes, but can you talk directly to the device from the Check MK
server with snmp?

I tested in my 1.5.0p5 (enterprise lab) and didn't see any issue.

Fresh site, simply added my snmp device. Here are the default tags;

Tags: /wato/, cmk-agent, ip-v4, ip-v4-only, lan, prod,
site:master1, snmp, snmp-tcp, snmp-v2, tcp, wato
Agent mode: Contact either Check_MK Agent or use a single
special agent
Cameron Moore
2018-11-05 21:41:53 UTC
I knew I had to be missing something! I left the "Check_MK Agent" option
unchecked thinking I didn't want to use it. I didn't realize that checking
the box would display a drop-down menu of options. Thanks
--
Cameron Moore